If Your Religious Exemption is Denied...

Some employers and schools are refusing to accept and accommodate religious exemptions for the Covid-19 vaccines. If you submitted a request for a religious exemption and were denied, you still have options.

Seek Legal Counsel

The first thing you should do is contact the Liberty Counsel, a Christian ministry that helps people in these situations. They may be able to provide you with legal counsel and assistance. Here is how you can get their help with your religious exemption denial. 

It may be very difficult finding attorneys to represent you in this matter (particularly in how it relates to the Covid-19 vaccines), however, you can search for attorneys in your area and see if they can help you.

If Your Request for Religious Exemption at Your Work Has Been Denied...

You must file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This is required BEFORE you can file a lawsuit that alleges your employer is violating federal law. 

The EEOC website explains how to file a complaint of discrimination against an employer by going here. At the bottom of the website, you will also find links and additional information that may be useful to you.

You typically have 180 days to file a complaint against a private employer, but federal employees have shorter deadlines and different requirements. 

The EEOC complaint form will require you to include a description of your religious exemption accommodation request. This is where you will explain your sincerely held religious beliefs to not take the Covid-19 vaccines along with your employer's response and your termination date. 

If you are a federal employee...

You will generally only have 45 days from the day the discrimination occurred to contact the EEO Counselor. There are also different requirements for filing a complaint. You can learn about the federal sector EEO complaint process from the EEOC website. 

Filing a Complaint with State and Local Agencies

Each state has an agency that can receive complaints. The Liberty Counsel strongly recommends that you file a complaint with both the EEOC and your state or local agencies. This would make it so that both your federal and state rights are considered in your case. 

After you file a complaint, the EEOC may do one of the following: 

1) Attempt resolution of your complaint with your employer

2) File suit against your employer

3) Issue a "right to sue" letter that will enable you to file suit